9News Gold Coast is reporting that the Eurovision Asia Song Contest will take place in Gold Coast in December 2019.
The Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre is set to host the inaugural Eurovision Asia Song Contest between November 30 to December 7, 2019. A total of 16 countries are reported to take part in the inaugural edition of the competition, with the final list to be revealed to the public in May 2019/
Preparations for the competition are already underway according to the city council with plans for the Eurovision Asia Village at the city’s Arts Precinct, HOTA. Gold Coast City Council’s aim according to 9News is to make the city the “home of Eurovision”, following the hosting of the inaugural Australian Eurovision national selection.
The 9News report added that discussions were underway with broadcasters from; China, India, Indonesia, New Zealand, Singapore and the UAE. The following countries had previously confirmed their participation or shown an interest in participating:
- Australia (Confirmed)
- China (Possible Steering Group Member)
- Japan (Possible Steering Group Member)
- Kazakhstan (In negotiations regarding participation)
- Maldives (Interest in participating)
- New Zealand (Interest in participating)
- Papua New Guinea (Interest in participating)
- Solomon Islands (Interest in participating)
- South Korea (Possible Steering Group Member)
- Vanuatu (Interest in participating)
The Eurovision Asia Song Contest which was announced in March 2016 is expected to see around 20 countries compete in the Asian spin-off of the 61-year-old Eurovision Song Contest which is held annually in Europe. The contest would be the first time that a Eurovision spin-off has been successfully held outside of Europe. Previously the European Broadcasting Union has sold the rights to the contest in Asia, the Arab World and is looking at a US contest.