The songs competing in both the International and Folk contests at Festival de Vina del Mar 2017 have been revealed ahead of next months contest.
The 12 songs competing in the two different contests at Vina del Mar International Song Festival 2017 have been announced. Six countries will be competing in each of the contests, with the winners of both contests being decided by a jury. The contest which is now in its 57th year is the largest song contest held within Latin America and is watched by millions of viewers.
Alongside the two contests, the week of Vina Del Mar sees performances from big name singers from across the America’s and the world. The event is known its audience known as “El Monstruo”, the audience is vocal in both their praise and disdain for performers having been known to boo singers off of the stage.
Competing in the folk contest are:
- Argentina: Ceci Méndez – Un Certain Flâneur
- Chile: Trifussa – Carnavalito de la esperanza
- Colombia: Puerto Sabana – Elisa la alegre
- Haiti: 4 Harmony – Peyi a
- Peru: Afrocandela – Baila mi festejo
- Venezuela: Lydia Arosemena – El platanal
Competing in the international contest are:
- Chile – Daniel Parraguez – Solo por esta noche
- Colombia – Arevalo – Así no más
- Cuba – Danay Suárez – Yo aprendí
- Italy – Irene Fornaciari – Questo Tempo
- Mexico – Jass Reyes – Cielo en llamas
- Spain – Salvador Beltrán – Dónde estabas tú
Fans of the Eurovision Song Contest will recognise the names of the participants from Italy and Spain. Irene Fornaciari has participated in Sanremo on a number of ocassions, the most recent being in 2016 with the song “Blu”, she knocked out of the contest having finished 17th in the semi final. Salvador Beltrán attempted to represent Spain at the Eurovision Song Contest 2016, he finished 3rd in the countries selection, he was last in the televote and with the studio jury but was the international juries favourite.