Malaysia is set to participate in the ABU TV Song Festival 2018, with ASTRO taking over as the Malay broadcaster.
Malaysia will be participating in the ABU TV Song Festival 2018 in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan. The nation which was not originally named as participating in the 7th ABU TV Song Festival, has now been confirmed as a participating country in the ABU’s Newsletter.
The Malay broadcaster will move from the national broadcaster RTM to Astro. Astro has previously taken part in the ABU International Dance Festival when it was first held in India in 2016. The other confirmed participating countries and their artists are as follows:
- Afghanistan (ATN) – Negar Mandegar
- Africa (African Union of Broadcasters) – Tiboy Shalla
- Hong Kong (TVB) – Thye Cho Yee
- India (DD) – Kushal Paul
- Indonesia (TVRI) – Lana Nitbaskara
- Japan (NHK) – Eir Aoi
- Kazakhstan (Khabar) – Nursultan Zhexenbin
- Macau (TDM) – Germano Bibi Guilherme
- Maldives (PSM) – Mohamed Abdul Ghanee & Mariyam Ashfa
- South Korea (KBS) – K.WILL
- Turkey (TRT) – Guliz Ayla & Bahadir Tatlioz
- Turkmenistan (TVTM) – TBC
- Uzbekistan (MTRK) – TBC
- Vietnam (VTV) – Khanh Linh
The ABU TV Song Festival is travelling to Central Asia for the first time, with Turkmenistan following on from China as the host nation of this years TV Song Festival.
This years TV Song Festival is being hosted by Television, Radio and Cinematography Turkmenistan (TVTM), with assistance from the South Korean broadcaster, KBS. The countries that are selected to take part in the festival “reflect geographical balance and the cultural diversity of the Asia-Pacific region.” Furthermore all of the performers must sing in their national language and showcase their nation’s culture.
The ABU TV Song Festival 2018 will be held on October 2 in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan.