Applications to compete in New Wave 2017 have opened, with the contest heading into its 16th edition since launch in 2003.
The applications process to compete in New Wave 2017 has opened, with the contest once again opening up to singers aged between 16 and 35 years old. Those wishing to take part in next years contest must provide at least two pictures (portrait and full-length photo), as well as three music tracks, representing the world hit, hit his country, and the author’s song in his own performance of the applicant. The songs should be recorded in a professional studio.
Those wishing to compete in the competition will have to go through two selection stages. The first being a jury who will listen to all of the submissions behind closed doors. The jury will then select the artists who will attend an internal selection round in the regions of Russia as well as internationally. The juries from these auditions will then select a number of artists to go through to District or National qualification rounds. At this stage the artists competing in the semi final will be decided, at the semi final the artists who will make it to New Wave 2017 are decided.
New Wave 2017 is open to all nationalities, the countries who have participated the most are as follows:
- Latvia – 15 contests (Original 10 competing countries)
- Russia – 15 contests (Original 10 competing countries)
- Kazakhstan – 14 contests (Original 10 competing countries)
- Ukraine – 14 contests (Debuted in 2003)
- Armenia – 10 contests (Debuted in 2003)
- Belarus – 10 contests (Debuted in 2005)
- Israel – 9 contests (Original 10 competing countries)
- Georgia – 9 contests (Original 10 competing countries)
- Italy – 8 contests (Debuted in 2006)
- Kyrgyzstan – 6 contests (Debuted in 2008)
The most successful countries in the contest are as follows:
- Russia – 3 victories, 2 second places, 3 third places
- Georgia – 2 victories, 1 second place, 2 third places
- Latvia – 2 victories, 1 second place, 1 third place
- United States of America – 2 victories, 1 second place
- Croatia – 2 victories
The dates of the 2017 contest are yet to be announced.
Source: New Wave