It has been announced this morning that New Wave 2017 will be held between September 8 and September 14 in Sochi, Russia.
The 16th edition of New Wave is being held between September 8 and 14 in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi. Alongside this years contest for young singers, there will as ever be guest performances from stars from across the world. Some of the artists named as attending the event are:
- Dima Bilan – Winner of the Eurovision Song Contest 2008
- Ani Lorak – Ukrainian entrant in the Eurovision Song Contest 2008
- Svetlana Loboda – Ukrainian entrant in the Eurovision Song Contest 2009
- Alexey Voyborov – Russian entrant in the Eurovision Song Contest 2011
- Sergey Lazarev – Russian entrant in the Eurovision Song Contest 2016
New Wave has been held annually since 2002 and has provided a platform for stars within Eastern Europe to be discovered. These include the likes of Nelly Ciobanu, Rin’Go, Intars Busulis and the winner of the Eurovision Song Contest 2016, Jamala. Between 16 and 11 singers are normally selected to compete in the final of the competition which is traditionally held in the late Summer or Autumn.
To date the following singers have been announced as participating in the competition:
- Armenia – Erna Mirzoyan
- Kazakhstan – Rustem Zhugunussov
- Moldova – DoReDoS
- Romania – Katye Rishe
- Russia – Sasha Santa
- Uzbekistan – Sardor Milano
Source: New Wave
[tw-accordion-section title=”What is the New Wave Contest?”]
New Wave was first held in 2002 in Jurmala, Latvia. The contest which is held over three days is open to singers age between 16 and 35 years old. The competition is incredibly popular within Eastern Europe with up and coming performers taking to the stage alongside well known guests from across the region. The contest has been a launching point for many careers including Intars Busulis, Natalia Gordienko and Jamala the winner of the Eurovision Song Contest 2016.