The ABU TV Song Festival 2017 takes place today in Chengdu, China with artists from 14 countries showcasing their talent to 5 billion viewers.
Chengdu, China will play host to the 5th edition of the ABU TV Song Festival today, with singers from 14 countries across the globe taking to the stage. This years event sees Turkmenistan and Zambia make their debut appearances in the event. Zambia joins Tunisia as the only countries outside of the Asia-Pacific region to have taken part in the ABU TV Song Festival. Returning to the event are Malaysia and India.
The participating countries are:
- Afghanistan – Mehdi Faruk – Qarsak
- China – Yisa Yu – TBA
- Hong Kong – Alvin Ng – How Can I Do
- India – Kailash Kher – TBA
- Indonesia – Januarisman – TBA
- Japan – LiSA – Catch the Moment
- Kazakhstan – Gazret Yerzhanov – Yapurai
- Macau – Catalyser – Midnight is the Time for God
- Maldives – Mohamad Thasneem – A Tourists View
- Malaysia – Syameel – Lebih Sempurna
- South Korea – MAMAMOO – Yes, I am
- Turkmenistan – Sohbet Kasymov – With You
- Vietnam – Luong Nguyet Anh – Ho tren nui
- Zambia – Herzon Ngosa – Zaninge
The ABU TV Song Festival is a non-competitive showcase of talent from across the Asia-Pacific region. Founded in 2012 in South Korea, the event has been held annually across the region alongside the Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union General Assembly. Singers from twenty-three countries across the region have taken to the stage from the likes of Australia to Kyrgyzstan and Macau to the Maldives.
The show will be broadcast live from 20:00 local time (13:00 CET) on Sichuan TV International, you can watch the show here. The only confirmed international broadcast so far is by Khabar Agency of Kazakhstan on November 23. The broadcasters in Japan and South Korea, are expected to broadcast the show in full during December.
[tw-accordion-section title=”What is the ABU TV Song Festival?”]
Since 2012 the Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union has organised a non-competitive festival highlighting the talents of its member nations. Countries such as Afghanistan, Brunei, China and the Maldives have participated in the event, showcasing the best of their talented music industry. Songs taking part in the event can be the singers own or a cover. The event is planned to eventually be turned into a competitive contest.