The Barys Arena in Astana has been announced as the venue for the Turkvision Song Contest 2017, which will take place later this year.
The 11,000 seat Barys Arena formally known as the Ice Palace Astana will be the venue for the fourth edition of the Turkvision Song Contest later this year in Astana. Construction on the arena began in 2012 after it was decided that Barys Ice Hockey Team needed a more suitable home. The arena was officially opened on August 8, 2015 by the President of Kazakhstan, with the first match taking place on August 9.
The Barys Arena (The Ice Palace Astana) has a capacity of 11,626 in its normal configuration, however this is likely to be reduced for the contest due to the need to construct a stage and cover the ice surface. This is not the first time that an Ice Hockey Arena has hosted the Turkvision Song Contest, in 2014 the TatNeft Arena in Kazan, Tatarstan hosted the competition.
To date fourteen countries have selected their participant for the Turkvision Song Contest 2017, they are:
- Azerbaijan – Sevinc Beyaz
- Bashkortostan – Ziliya Bakhtieva – Donya Mathur
- Belarus – Svetlana Agarval – Meni Anla
- Crimea – Alseyda – Felegimsin
- Gagauzia – Yulia Arnaut – Kemenca
- Germany – Seyran
- Kumyk – Daniyal Harunow
- Latvia – Oksana Bilera – Yakisiyor bize bu sevgi
- Netherlands – Elcan – Ana vatan
- Moldova – Polina Stefoglo – Yallah Yallah!
- Poland – Olga Shimanskaya – Masal gibi bu dunya
- Romania – Sunai Giolacai
- Stavropol Krai – Islam Satyrov
- Sweden – Arghavan – Dircalis
- Ukraine – Natalie Papazoglu – Tikenli yol
The following countries and regions have confirmed that they will participate but have yet to select their entrants:
- Northern Cyprus
More details about the contest is expected to be released in the coming weeks. This includes the date of the contest, the countries who will be participating as well as more details regarding the special guest performers.