The third Turkvizyon Song Contest takes place this evening in Istanbul, Turkey and we have put a short guide together to explain how the contest works, the rules and what to expect from the show tonight.
The Turkvizyon Song Contest was first held in 2013 and is now in its third year as it returns to Turkey for the second time. The competition is open to singers above the age of 16. Songs for the contest must be new releases and be between 3 and 4 minutes long. Performers must sing in a Turkic language.
How are the singers selected?
The participants in the competition were selected through both internal and national selection processes. Of the 21 competing countries only three held national selections to pick their participant this year they are Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.
Who is participating?
The following 21 countries will be participating in the contest:
- Albania – Xhoi Bejko & Visar Rexhepi – Adi hasret
- Azerbaijan – Mehman Tağıyev – Istanbul
- Belarus – Aleksandra Kazimova – Azadlık
- Bosnia & Herzegovina – Adis Škaljo – Pa šta
- Bulgaria – Big Star Life – İstanbul’dayız
- Gagauzia – Valentina Ormanji – Sev beni sev
- Georgia – Anar Askerov – Tenha yürek
- Germany – Derya Kaptan – Sessiz Çığlık
- Iran – Reza Esbilani – Benim Arzum
- Iraq – Sirmali – Serenat
- Kazakhstan – Orda – Olay Emes
- Kosovo – Tolga Kazaz – Sevmek Günah midir?
- Kyrgyzstan – Jiidesh İdirisova – Kim bilet
- Macedonia – Kaan Mazhar – Böyle Olmamalıydı
- Northern Cyprus – Ipek Amber – Sessiz Gidiş
- Romania – Edvin Eddy – Seviyorum, Anlasana
- Sandžak – Almedin Varošanin – Iz
- Syria – Adil Şan – Geliş
- Turkey – Gorkem Durmaz – Hırçın Sular
- Ukraine – Anna Mitiolgo – Baaşla bana – Bana hediye et
- Uzbekistan – KaaPlya feat Hurdona – Azadlık
The running order:
The running order for the contest has not been announced by the organisers. We expect that the running order will be done in alphabetical order of the countries names in Turkish. This means that the performance order should be as follows:
- Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Northern Cyprus
Each of the participating countries is represented by one juror who has experience in the music industry, entertainment industry or television. This juror scores all of the performances except their own countries from 1-10 points. The jurors are allowed to award the same points to an unlimited number of countries, this mean that a juror may award 10 points more than once.
The following Russian regions may also be voting in the contest; Altai Republic, Bashkortostan, Crimea, Kabardino-Balkaria & Karachay Chekressia, Khakassia, Kumyk, Moscow, Stavropol Krai, Tatarstan and Tuva.
Follow @EurovoixWorld as we tweet through the show tonight.
Find out more Turkvizyon news, videos and pictures on the Facebook page – Turkvizyon Song Contests here.