A total of three singers have qualified for Sao Mai, from the Northern Region Finals of the contest.
The first three acts vying to represent Vietnam at the ABU Song Contest 2019 have been determined. Eighteen singers were selected during semi-finals which took place last weekend, with six singers competing in each of the three categories. On January 22nd, the final was then held for the Northern Region, with one singer from each of the categories being selected to go through the final. The competitors were:
- Nguyen Tuan Anh (Hanoi)
- Tran Phuong Mai (Hanoi) – Finalist
- Tran Thanh Phuong (Thai Binh)
- Nguyen Thi Quynh (Hanoi)
- Vu Quang Trung (Hai Phong)
- Nguyen Thi Mai Chi (Thai Binh)
- Duong Van Duc (Bac Giang)
- Nguyen Thi Ngoc Ha (Ninh Binh)
- La Hoang Quy (Hai Duong)
- Nguyen Dieu Thuy (Yen Bai) – Finalist
- Nguyen Duc Tung (Hai Phong)
- Luong Hai Yen (Bac Giang)
- Nguyen Vu Ha Giang (Hanoi)
- Nguyen Hoang Anh (Hanoi)
- Phan Thi Ha (Phu Tho)
- Nguyen Thi Quy (Hai Phong)
- Ha Thi Thom (Son La)
- Quách Mai Thy (Hải Phòng) – Finalist
The winner of Sao Mai will represent Vietnam at the ABU Song Contest 2019. The way in which the Vietnamese song for the competition will be selected has not yet been revealed. Sao Mai will be broadcast by VTV6.
VTV has participated in the ABU TV Song Festival annually since it was first held in 2012. The broadcaster also hosted the 2013 edition in Hanoi, and is one of just a handful of broadcasters to have taken part in every edition. The Vietnamese national broadcaster has also taken part in the ABU Radio Song Festival and the ABU International Dance Festival.